Edward James Snushall

Edward (Ted) James Snashall was born at Cobar NSW on 8 July 1896 to parents George and Catherine Snushall. It is noted that, like a number of his siblings, Ted spelt his surname as SNASHALL. His AIF Service Records include a Statutory Declaration stating that his true surname was SNUSHALL, alias SNASHALL. Later records (eg.  Death Certificate) show that he continued to use the alias, SNASHALL.

Ted enlisted in the AIF on 22nd November 1916 to fight during WWI at age 21 years 4 months.  At the time of enlistment, his mother, Mrs Catherine Snushall, was his N.O.K. and she lived at 67 Castlereagh Street, Redfern, New South Wales - later moving to 2 Westmoreland St, Glebe NSW.   At the time of his enlistment Ted stated that his occupation was a Gas Employee.

Ted was a Pte, serial number 3257, and served in the 33rd Battalion. His unit embarked from Sydney, New South Wales, on board HMAT "A16 - Port Melbourne" on 16 July 1917 - disembarking Liverpool on 16 September 1917. He shipped to France, departing England on 17 January 1918 and was at the Front about 25 January 1918. He was wounded in the left leg on 30 March 1918 and suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibia bones. He was transferred to England on 4 April 1918.  He returned home to Australia on 28 November 1918, and was discharged 12th January 1920. He was awarded the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Ted married Annetta McLaren in 1920 at Leichardt NSW. At that time Ted was 23. They had one child, a daughter named Jean N. Snashall who was born about 1924. Ted and his mother, Catherine, were listed as witnesses at the wedding in 1920 of his younger sister, Ada Alma Snushall.

Ted again volunteered to serve in the Army (AMF) on 3rd March 1930. He served in the 36th Batt for a period  of 3 years and his personnel No was 287779, later changed to N21145.  He was promoted to Sgt on 1 Nov 1931. He extended for another 3 years from 4 March 1934 following his promotion to Company Sergeant Major (CSM) 1 Aug 1933.

Ted died at the age of 48 at the Marrickville Hospital NSW on 31st December 1943 and was cremated at the Rookwood Crematorium on 1st January 1944. Cause of death was recorded as Rheumatic Carditis.

Annetta died in hospital on 9 June 1988, aged 90 years. The Death Notice placed in the Sydney Morning Herald on 18 June advised that her body was donated to University.

In 1949 their daughter, Jean, married Ronald (Ron) Percival Talbot. Jean died of cancer on 12 May 2004. She was survived by her husband, Ron.  They had no children.